Sunday 13 March 2011

Catch-up (of the film review variety)

So since Percy Jackson we've watched a lot and I've not reported on it.

The American was cancelled so we actually didn't get to see that.
We watched Up in the Air that night instead. I liked this film, it was well acted. However, the story was a tiny bit disappointing yet the music was good.

Monsters was alright actually, a mix between District 9 and every other invasion film ever. The monsters were quite beautiful when you saw them at the end. It ended abruptly as films have recently started doing... It had a few of those jump-in-your-seat moments and other gruesome scenes. I'd not watch it again but if you think it falls in your genre of preference you might like it.

Machete is a action/comic wonder film. It was by far the best thing I've seen in a while purely because it was so hilarious. It was gory and totally ridiculous from the very first scene but it was so bizarre that it pulled itself into the realm of wonder. I'd watch it again probably.

An Education was an odd one. I liked it but I didn't get why she stayed with him. If I put that to one side it was rather fantastic but I still cannot believe that a girl like her would stick with a man like him once she found out some of those things. I know she was supposed to be so smitten/in love but I just, er, she was too clever. I think if I gave it a few years it might merit a re-watch but I'm not that bothered. You might like it though.

We skipped on Paranormal Activity 2 because we hadn't seen the first one and couldn't really be bothered.

The Tourist was actually much better than I expected. That is because I had been told it was bad and cliché and predictable. To be honest it was both cliché and predictable but that didn't make it bad. The story was not a bad one and the genuinely adorable character of Frank (played by Johnny Depp) but made it much better. I'd maybe even watch this again if it was on tv.

Otherwise, my life has been busy in art and other areas. :)

No comments: