Thursday 16 September 2010

You'd like to know what the public really thinks?

I've just read this blog by Alex Day. Last night I had a discussion with my friend Ash about popular music and how I had to close down a Pussy Cat Dolls song after only 30 seconds as I was, to be honest, repulsed.

I know I'm not the mainstream at all in my tastes but as I have been in the past a great lover of music by Pink, McFly and S Club 7, I feel I can say I'm not adverse to listening and enjoying music classed as "popular".

That is until recently where I have stopped listening to the radio often due to a major dislike for what is classed as "popular" these days.

Anyway I could rant for a day and a half about that, what this blog is going to be is an experiment. I'm going to listen to Radio 1 for an hour and share my thoughts.

18:50
"this is why they play my song on so many different dials" - Well I hadn't heard it before this second.
It's rapping but I'm not enjoying it (though only Eminem has ever really allowed me to enjoy rap, oh and Hank Green.)

Now he's (Scott Mills) just listing people, guests, I didn't hear earlier in the day to encourage me to check it out online.

Next song, electro-y unclear lyrics, cannot tell a word of it, not too catchy but sounds sort of classic. Might kick in soon. The drum sounds SO FAKE just remixed samples. WHERE IS THE TALENT? I haven't heard a genuine clear un-auto tuned voice yet. I still haven't heard a distinct word yet. "Aeroplane Superstar" NO LIES. Is that considered good? Really?

Ooooh a voice, slow and a bit raw. "Now I see you lying there like a lilo loosing air, air". Best of the tracks so far. The chords in the background are appealing. Oh no it's becoming very very repetitive "I'm the theory in your head, I'm the theory in your bed, I'm the ghost in the back of your head" about 4 times and now just electronic Snow Patrolish rhythms but all warped. I wonder who this is, it's quite relaxing. I could grow to like this track actually; back to those lines though, repeating again.

Oh now it's a new presenter at exactly 19:00, talking about their producer who's last show it is.

More electronic music. I'm not on board (so I guess the presenter is Zane? that's his thing? he hasn't actually said.) I think, I might be right in thinking this is supposed to be the "In New Music We Trust" show. We shall see, they'll no doubt not play a single artist from youtube. None of my beloved Milsom on the radio tonight?
 Of course not. Instead I'm listening to a HIDEOUS mix of bloops and beeps and "drum" that is just going over and over and over and sometimes adding a new layer or sound. Oh it reduced a bit and he's talking over the track.

"It's going to be a really fun night tonight!" Zane just said. The song before is still on bloody hell he's just talking over it because it is that INSANELY REPETITIVE. Who does this appeal to? It's too fast to dance to, no lyrics to sing to, it sounds like everything I might have ever heard like this. OH RIGHT he's talking over it AGAIN, it's still going 5 minutes later. It's horrible. It just cut off while he said "muck spreading".

Kings of Leon, finally a band I have heard of and have heard the Mighty Boosh take the mick out of. Oh his horrible voice. Not a fan. Oh I tuned out and started reading tumblr, it's ok background music, it doesn't intrude but I have no compulsion to hear it again. 5 albums? REALLY? Radioactive? There was nothing radioactive about that song. Give that title back to McFly.

Right transitioning to another dance track, already not enjoying it. CRAPPY SAMPLED DRUMS. Where are my bands that can play live? This guy's voice is so old fashioned. OMG it was getting good until "heaven, heaven" etc etc. It almost felt like a Depeche Mode song, a tiny bit. No, ruined by the chorus and the backing track. ERGH.

Adverty things, but not real adverts because it's the BBC.

Interpol, Barricade. Guitar repeating and what sounds like actual drums! A voice that isn't auto tuned. He sounds like he cannot really be bothered to be singing though, drawling. The guitar is SO MUCH like Driftless Pony Club that it is making me very upset that I cannot hear Craig singing Legends of Archery. No, I've decided I don't like this song anymore. The lyrics do not appeal and it's just washing over me. No catch, no enjoyment.

Stopped listening to talk to mum but there was no song on. Now there's one where they sing "ooeeoo" for sirens. It's quirky. "Better" is not behha though. PRONOUNCE IT. Disliked. "Like Blur meets the Cribs"? really? "A breath of fresh air"?

Ooh this one is very wordy, as in, you can hear them and his voice isn't so bad and it's not going through autotune. The drums and guitar are suiting it and supporting it. "Tell me how my money's spent" "All I need's a great big congratulations." Not the best lyrics, it's like a list of ideas... no narrative. Give me Erase This with it's story arch any day. Dude. I'm not enjoying this. Only 20 mins left though.

Now they're going to play another REMIX. Nooooooooooooooooo.
Dubstep? I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about this. Power chords. Ergh I'm just going to browse the internet until this song is over. Not fond.

NO WAY. They're playing it again. NOT EVEN FAIR. Only 12 minutes of listening left now! Then I can switch it off and watch some YouTube videos thank-you-please.

He just said "this is ridiculous" I agree. Pure and simple. Ridiculous. It's the bad sort though, not like Zane meant. TWICE I had to hear that. "Helen McGuire was the vocalist" she could sing but the song was not appealing. "Laid back but tough" no. Apparently there wasn't even one negative text. WHAT? NO WAY they're freaking playing it again. *CRIES*

He doesn't know where to go now. A NEW SONG PLEASE. "We need to move forward people".

OOH! Architects, day in day out. Screaming. Shake it up a bit indeed. My blood is pumping and I'm honestly happy to hear someone scream down the mic. A real band, a beautiful piece of passion. Not even my type of music but it's the best thing I've heard all night with only 3 minutes to my cut off point.



That was an experience and a half and not an enjoyable one. Maybe I picked the wrong time to do this with the new music show but I still think it's valid to say I'll be switching back to 6Music or Absolute if I'm going to radio listen at all.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

lol. the rest of that music sounded painful.

melinda is a diehard fan of KoL. I don't understand it.

ehhh I like poppy music. I'm not picky in that sense. tbh, I don't like much of dftba records. eh, but it's true.

oh well (:

Haze said...

"Give that title back to McFly!" AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA <3 <3 <3

Mmmmm Interpol! <3 haha oh well.
This was VERY amusing indeed.

Also, I'm never on board. Zane is insanely boring.