Tuesday 12 October 2010

Zany

I'm going to try and review each of the films that I see this term in this blog, seeing as I bought a term pass and all. 

I'm a behind already though because I've already seen 4.

Kickass was on at the Uni cinema during Week 0. This was the third time I've seen it and it was still very enjoyable. The music; still a good choice. I'm still creep'd out by the way Big Daddy says "child" to Mindy and I still get shocked when certain things happen suddenly. I'd recommend this one.

Sliding Doors. I have a version of this on a dvd Mum burned for me because she recorded it from the tv last year. It was really good. Considering it was made a good while ago the style of clothing/hair didn't seem to be too odd... I only mention this because sometimes a good film with a great plot can be ruined for me because of the way it looks. This one is pretty timeless except for the size of mobile phones/computers. Anyway, I really admired the casting for the two main male roles, they weren't conventionally attractive, not the sort of "perfect" man that can be so often cast as an unrealistic love interest. Was a moving film. James said it wasn't quite as sci-fi as it could have been with the way the split time/realities were handled but I still say it was brilliant. Watch it!

The Life of Brian. I don't know how I got to being a few months away from 20 without seeing any Monty Python in full. I've only ever seen clips here there and everywhere on tv. This film made me laugh a hundred or so times throughout. It was wonderful, the pants effects only added to it's charm. I will definitely watch this again some day but I've got the other 4 Python films to watch too so not until I've seen them.

Four Lions. I was a bit worried about this film as the advert had made me laugh so much but I knew it was about terrorist suicide bombers. It was a grand film, so well made and completely filled with laugh out loud moments. Contradictory opinions, eating sim-cards, squat jogging, mini babybels, analogies of the Lion King to try and explain his actions to his child and water pistol fights. It was shocking and scarily real and these people were so misguided but you could see why they were acting the way they did (I don't know how real it is, I doubt real suicide bombers are so thick or funny or communicate on Puffin Party.). Highly recommended for anyone. 


So that's what I've been up to. Today I went over to the art rooms for a 9:30am talk that was actually for third years but had been announced in our LUVLE area. So annoyed about that but then I took my stuff over and put it in my big locker. It's SO STRANGE but I'm in exactly the same space as last year! I'm actually looking forward to our 3 hour session this afternoon.

:D

No comments: