Thursday 19 March 2009

Grown-up

It has recently puzzled me, the definition of Grown Up.
I'm 18 now and people keep telling me that this is grown up.
I'm going to Uni next year, like a real adult.
I might get a job over the summer.
You know, all these things that the "grown ups" do.
But how does this make sense when nearly every so called adult I see is behaving as if they've swapped roles.

Does it matter if we don't want to take on all this responsibility.
We are allowed a childhood, something that in the middle ages and such we didn't have.
As Sue has told us a few times as soon as a child could walk it was working and having sex.

I see adults everday behaving what we have coined as "childish", bitching about the "kids" behind their back, holding ridiculous grudges and generally being downright lazy and rude.
In contrast we have children trying to be "adults", smoking and drinking and swearing. Dressing up and pretending to have this amazing grown up life.

Only today in English did we discuss that we should appreciate what we have rather than wishing forward or backwards in time.

Now do not misunderstand me, I love having a laugh and also acting, what some might call immaturely. I love the fact I'm growing up too because I don't think I could stand being 14 again and going through all that blergh.
But there are limits.

I'm sorry, maybe this is only me but there are times and places and even though "common sense" and "social trends" are merely that, a trend that is the average and the generally accepted norm does NOT mean I can put up with this conflict and misrepresentation of being "grown up".

Even 40 somethings and octogenarians have their non "grown up" moments so just drop it.
Stop using it as a term that doesn't mean what you want it to mean.
Sure it could mean your age and that's ok.
But really, I just don't get how people think their better if their older.

This might have come out as a bit of a messed up thought ramble but the last few days I've been putting a bit more effort into these blogs and still I cannot get my thoughts straight.

Oh well.

Also, Hazel made an observation today that made me grin. I wont go into it here because I'm not sure who from school reads this but yeah. It was class and allowed me to have a small much needed rant.

Kudos to series one of Dr Who too that Caitlin and I were watching tonight.

And to the sun, it's cheered me up.

Right, I need to pack now even though I've been saying this for ages!

Evening all.
(Or Morning if you're reading it on a morning...)

x

No comments: