Saturday 30 April 2011

#30

I'd like to address the topic of exercise in this blog today.

When I was younger I used to have swimming lessons. They were my only real exercise every week.
When we did PE at Infants and Juniors I wasn't very good but I didn't hate it. I rather liked our silly games and attempts at netball or whatever.
At break time you would probably find me skipping or playing games that involved running.

However, when we got to Comp I sort of developed a dislike for sport. It was a chore, it was 2 hours a week that I didn't like doing because it tired me out and I wasn't good at it. I wasn't fat or particularly unable, I think if I'd tried harder and been dedicated to something I might have been alright at something, maybe. Although I am quite un-coordinated.

Worst of all was running though, anything longer than the 100m would give me stitches, make me feel awful and make me feel bad about myself for the rest of the day. I just didn't have the stamina or determination to be better at it. Basically, badminton and hockey were the only sports I really enjoyed doing at school. By the time we got to 6th form and I didn't have to do sport at all I was happy. Finally I didn't have to work up a sweat over something I didn't enjoy. In my spare time I could read and learn and share and enjoy life rather than feel all ikky and exhausted.

I know the adrenaline from exercise is supposed to be good, and I have to be truly honest and admit that sometimes it did feel good to compete and win. I once got a stamp for a gymnastics routine I came up with and I sometimes aced at ping pong if I was in the right mood.

Basically, I do jack - nowt about keeping fit other than not gorging myself silly on junk food.

Last year I developed a very strange ailment that has something to do with exertion and heat reactions. Once time last year I looked down at my thighs and was a bit grossed out so I went for a run.
This run sent my new and strange hive reaction illness into overdrive and after a 10 minute jog I was so itchy my skin would have felt better if I'd clawed it to blood, I was thankfully running with James and he walked with me back to my room as I tried my best not to tear my skin apart. I ended up blacking out just as I got to my room.
I spent the rest of the day in bed feeling horrendous.

This hive reaction isn't just a running caused thing though. Being in a room that is suddenly warm after a cold outside (or the other way round) and make my skin hive up and itchy. Before I got prescribed my daily anti-histamines I would sometimes have a severe reaction from just a very gentle walk in the sun.

I'm telling you this because it worries me, I don't know if I'll ever be able to exercise properly if I ever decide to make that decision. Also, I don't have a bus pass any more (I only got a 2 term one) and I am now walking every time I go to and from campus/town. Today I felt a tiny bit itchy on my walk. I was meandering, not even walking briskly. It was windy and I was a bit warm from movement. This slight clash was enough to make my elbows flare up even though I'd had my anti histamine an hour before. (Bear in mind they last for 14 hours).

I'm hoping this near daily walking won't be bad for me, I'm hoping very much it will help me tone my legs so I can feel better in shorts in the coming months. Less tights, more leg.

There is no argument to this blog, there is very little point at all. It is a record of my thoughts, feelings and actions and today you got an insight into my experience with sports.

I should have done this earlier in the month.
Alas, earwax.

I'll write back soon, I promise.

No comments: