Monday 4 May 2009

I am no stereotype

I might be a teenage girl who blogs.
But that doesn't file me off into a label.

Ashley posted this in her blog last night and I thought I would also post my response.

I was on Omegle again and met this 18 year old girl from Bristol. Right after I told her my asl (16/f/US), she asked me if I could 'disconnect, no offense'
I said errr why!? and later she told me that I was not what she expected. What did she expect? That I would ramble about what new dress I got or who I was going out with? On the contrary, that is exactly what she did. She talked about her senior prom.

Seriously, do most British think of American teenagers this way? That we are these stuck up princesses that get whatever they want? Whoever these people are, I would like to hit them around the head and give them a bit of common sense. True, a lot of the girls are like that here, but when I talk to my friends in other countries around the world, I find that to be true as well in most cases. Not all of us are like that. *scowl* So question to you all, especially Elizabeth, do Brits really think of us this way? (Otherwise, I find that people's opinions of American adults quite true...well, somewhat anyway.)


That is very difficult to say in all honesty because I know none of my close RL friends think this, probably because we have an American friend who came over here 7 years ago and she's proved stereotypes wrong.
I would say opinions like that Bristolian's are definitely down to the media's influence and the fact that people like her are not on the internet to CHANGE their perceptions of what has been fed to them through the close-minded television companies.
The first people I spoke to online, that were not my RL friends through messenger, were some girls in a guild on Neopets.
The thing is we stuck together in this guild and became pretty close friends for a time and the things we talked about off the site were pretty much every topic. Already I was accepting that there are people out there who care as little about some things as I do and as much about others in the same way. (does that make sense?)
Anyhoo, I really do not think so stereotypically about anyone I meet online anymore especially as most of them are Youtubers or Nerdfighters or the like, but I cannot say that about the general American population. I still see, and you can dislike me for this, a hellova lot of proof that there are plenty of American girls who do fall into the stereotype that girl expected, JUST as much as I see daily teenagers over here in the UK filling every single stereotype we've laid out! The problem is that a lot of people are close minded and do not know what to expect from actual experiences with individuals rather than mass produced average experiences.

I hope this makes sense to you because it was a pretty loaded question and I think I got carried away!


Well that was something I wanted to say and could definitely expand on very thoroughly but I really should just post this now and do some work so that I don't have "BLOG" on my list of things still to do.

t's'all

No comments: